I am trying to break into the Medical Device Sales Industry after 20 successful years as a Spine Physician.
Due to changes in insurance reimbursement and driven by a new passion for surgical Health Care, I closed my clinic, moved 4 hours away from my family for 3 months to attend an amazing intense Medical Sales College, and for the past 5 months having been hitting it hard to land an entry level role in Medical Sales.
I don’t understand why I’m not giving the chance to even interview to sell myself and close on an associate level role despite believing myself to be an amazingly strong candidate:
1. B2B sales experiences as owner/operator of a multi-million dollar clinic with a 20 year history of success.
2. Extremely Humble, willing to start at the bottom at entry level pay and work like mad to rise to the top, proving my value.
3. Experience as a Professor in Anatomy and Physiology, and Microbiology for 2 local colleges
4. Specific Industry training in Spine, Orthopedic Reconstruction, Trauma, and Orthobiologics, and role playing training in consultative selling via relationship calls, short calls, and long calls. In-service training and other lecturing assignments on orthopedic devices.
5. Many connections to local MD’s in the community I served for 20 years.
6. Daily work on LinkedIN with goal of making 75 new connections within the Industry.
7. Initiative, drive, passion, and fearless sales spirit as proven by cold calling on Medical Sales Reps at 8 local hospitals, introducing myself to them at reptrax sign-in kiosk
8. Extremely detailed 60-page business plan I created to include specific research into the companies I applied to, their products, their competitors’ products, and extensively profiling 120 local surgeons.
I have been told by many Medical Device Reps that I have done more effort to get into the profession than anyone else they have ever seen. Yet, in 5 months I have only gotten one first interview.
Please help me by telling me what I am doing wrong, or what I may be omitting. (I am open to all constructive criticism)
Marked as spam
Meet your next client here. Join our medical devices group community.
@David, give this well commented-upon discussion a read: medicaldevicesgroup.net/medical-devices/breaking-medical-device-sales-industry/
Marked as spam
Please log in to post questions.